Mirko (Basaldella). 750/000 gold cross made by the Torrini goldsmith's workshop on commission from Serena Basaldella in 1976, obtained by lost wax casting in two specimens from sculpted plaster and signed by Maestro Mirko in 1941. The other copy is kept at the Mirko Foundation. Seizes: mm. 80x70.
He held his first exhibition in 1935 at the Galleria La Cometa, a gallery owned by Countess Mimì Pecci Blunt and in which Libero de Libero and a very young Corrado Cagli were artistic directors. A trip to Paris, made in 1937 together with his brother Afro, opened him to a more complete vision of art, leaving the boundaries of Mediterranean culture, absorbing the European one.
In 1935 he settled in Rome and joined the Milanese group of Corrente. In New York, he held an exhibition at the Knoedler gallery in 1947 which he will repeat over the next two years.
Between 1949 and 1951 he built the three gates of the Fosse Ardeatine, an imposing bronze sculpture. This significant experience directed Basaldella towards the search for a new way of making sculpture, with structures and materials different from those traditionally used, including cement, metal mesh, iron wires, plastics.
In the following years, there were many visits to oriental culture, mythical iconology, totems, Assyrian, Mesopotamian, Jewish, and pre-Columbian finds. The period from 1953 to 1960 was characterized by the use of cut copper and brass sheets. From that period are the series of the Lions of Damascus and the Chimeras.
In 1957 he was called to direct the Design workshop at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts of Harvard University in Cambridge in Massachusetts, from here his sculpture is oriented towards technological, mechanistic directions and towards fantastic stimulations of the sacred craftsmanship of the Indians, some themes obliged of the sculpture were brought back in archaeological forms.
In 1962 he participated, together with the most important international sculptors of the time, in the exhibition Sculptures in the city organized by Giovanni Carandente as part of the "V Festival dei Due Mondi" in Spoleto. He presented two bronze sculptures from 1961: Totem and toothed motif.
In the second half of the sixties, he devoted himself to a new series of painted woods, the last bronzes, and bronzes born from the sculptor's ability to mold every type of material, from waste materials to bricks, to the residues of industrial wrapping materials. Finally, the explicitly figurative themes inspired by the biblical theme of the thirties, full of refined cultural memories, also reappear. (source Wikipedia)